How do I pay?
- We require a 20% deposit via a secure credit card payment to confirm your booking. We then require the balance 35 days out from the start of your trip.
- We accept Visa and Mastercard but please note there is a 2.7% surcharge for all card transactions.
- Any extra insurance or items may be paid for online at the time of booking or at our headquarters when you collect the van.
Please note you will need to have sufficient funds to freeze the bond amount when you collect the campervan - dependant on the insurance option you select. The Funds will be frozen for the entire duration of your trip and will be released on return of the campervan.
To make sure you're covered while you are on holiday we've got 3 insurance options available. Please click here to find out more.
What driver’s licenses do you accept?
We require all of our driving customers to:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a full and current drivers licence. Suspended or sanctioned licences are not accepted for any reason.
Licences from English speaking countries are accepted without any supporting documentation. These countries include: New Zealand, Australia, USA, United Kingdom, Ireland and relevant parts of Canada.
If you are from a Non English speaking country you will require the following to legally drive in New Zealand:
- Your drivers licence
- Either an International licence OR a certified English translation of your home licence. Transnational is recommended for certified translations in New Zealand - you can arrange this on the following link: www.driverlicencetranslation.co.nz
Please ensure you complete this prior to your arrival in New Zealand as you will not be able to collect your van until we have your correct licence details. Please also ensure that you have spent some time understanding the local driving conditions and road rules, it can be tricky driving in a new environment and we want everyone to have an amazing driving experience in their Mad Camper!
If you would like more information on driving safely in New Zealand please click here for Drive Safe NZ's website.
We offer a discount on all ferry crossings and can organise these for you.
Contact us to enquire and book your ferry.
What is Freedom Camping?
Freedom camping or free camping is the practice of putting up tents or parking up campervans in areas not designated for camping. Free camping typically means that freedom campers cannot access facilities such as clean drinking water, toilets (either flushing or long drop) and waste disposal facilities.
Travelling in a Fully Certified Self Contained Mad Camper allows you the freedom to travel as you please. Our Campers are fitted out with 25L of fresh water and grey water capacity and a chemical toilet so you can get off the beaten track.
For more information on responsible freedom camping please click this link.
More information can be found here.
Mad Campers opening hours are below. Any after hours collection or drop off request will incur charges and must be made and accepted in writing prior to being confirmed. If your flight arrives late at night or early in the morning (between the hours of 7pm - 8am) we recommend you spend your first night in a hostel or hotel prior to collecting your camper. We are unable to process vans during these hours (7pm - 8am) except by request and confirmation. And besides - after a long flight you will probably be craving a shower!
Monday to Friday: 9.00am to 4.30pm (outside these hours may incur charges)
Saturday to Sunday: 10am to 3.00pm (outside these hours may incur charges)
Public Holidays Closed: New Year's Day, Christmas Day and Good Friday.
Public Holiday Surcharges: A NZ$100 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on the following National Public Holidays: Labour Day (22nd October 2018), Boxing Day (26th December 2018), Day after New Year’s Day (2nd January 2019), Waitangi Day (6th February 2019)), Easter Monday (22nd April 2019), ANZAC Day (25th April 2019), Queens Birthday (3rd June 2019).
Lets make sure you're ready before you arrive!
- If you would like an airport collection please confirm your flight arrival details and ensure that you have advised us of these in writing and received confirmation. Please also note we charge by calendar day so if you are arriving in the evening you may wish to book a hostel or backpackers and collect your van early the next morning. Please let us know in writing if you need to be collected from another location.
- Please ensure you have confirmed your licence is valid (per above) and are ready to collect your van.
- Please ensure your credit card has enough funds available to pay for any insurances or bonds.
- Please make sure you have taken some time to learn about driving in New Zealand - you will find some valuable information here.
How should I pack?
You will be most comfortable in our campers if you pack your belongings in a duffel (type) bag. There is plenty of storage in the campers for soft or small luggage. Large suitcases are ok to bring but not ideal:) We are more than happy to store large suitcases for you if you are travelling from Auckland to Auckland.
If you have any questions please email us and we'll get straight back to you. We look forward to meeting and sending you on your adventure!
What's included with our vans?
Click here for a detailed look at everything our vans have to offer, and a list of the extras you might want to add to make your trip super sweet.
The extras that make the difference
We’ve selected only the best vans for our fleet and our in house mechanics team has given them the stamp of approval. Our fleet is entirely AA Safety Certified Nissan Vannettes (or similar) because we know they are built to go the distance in New Zealands rugged back country.
We are incredibly proud of our fit outs which boast:
A fully functional kitchenette with fridge, sink, gas cooker, pots & pans and utensils
Extendable hose tap so you can wash your dishes after dinner, and your feet after the beach.
Huge double bed (1900mm x 1400mm)
Innovative use of space allowing access from the side and rear of the van!
An auxiliary battery so you can listen to music / run the fridge / charge your laptop all night long
LED lighting so you can see what you are cooking, or lay in bed reading
USB powerpoints so you can plug in your music, and charge your phone / laptop
Curtains so you choose when to let the light in
Super security! All our vans come with an alarm / immobiliser and a lockbox for your passport